Thursday, November 13, 2014

Dirty Bird - S/T

Year: 1994
Label: Tamper Records

Tracks:


1. Ideology & Power

2. Barbie Doll
3. Alien

4. Big Idea

5. Word

In some bizarre turn of events, arguably the best 7” that came out of Toronto in the early 1990s was from one of the worst bands. I remember hearing Dirty Bird back when I was a young teen going to street punk shows at the Kathedral and not being able to listen to it because it was too pukey. This was at a time when I spent most of my time listening to Choking Victim. Needless to say, I didn’t expect much when I first picked up the Dirty Bird 7” and was astonished by what I was listening to. In their early incarnation, Dirty Bird didn’t sound like a drunk puke punk band a la washed out BFG at all, this 7” is great! The 7” has wild sound, like a more progressive sounding Minor Threat, but not in a stupid way. The lyrics are pretty politically charged like most early 90s hardcore bands, but done in a way that isn’t preachy or slogany but articulate and seemingly educated. I don’t know what happened to this band after this gem but their website proclaims they as “Canada’s Drunkest Hardcore Band” and is even more embarrassing than DRI’s Facebook page. This singer of this band, Uncle Anus, just passed away a while ago. R.I.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment